Foulds Metals Limited began trading in Fleetwood shortly after the end of the First World War. A proud Yorkshireman, John Foulds first settled in Fleetwood working in the butchering trade.
He then went into the scrap business with premises in Back Mount Street, Fleetwood. After relocating to Victoria Street in 1925, he was joined by his son Albert in 1930, trading in rags and woollens as well as metals.
In 1951, Albert Foulds Snr, acquired the former ICI Social club and re-branded it as the Dome of Discovery. He used to trade in almost anything second hand, from a 6-inch nail to a three-piece suite. He subsequently established premises in Cop Lane.
Albert’s three sons, John, Norman and Albert Jnr, were involved in the firm for a number of years but it was Norman who continued the scrap metal side of the business, operating from premises in Styan Street before eventually returning to Cop Lane. Norman traded here for many years, also establishing Skip-Hire. He acquired Robertson’s former foundry on Siding Road in 1980 and re-located the business to its current site. In 1989, Skip-Hire was off-loaded and the scrap business was taken over by Ian Barnes, who remains managing director to this day.
Throughout the company’s growth and new ownership, the Foulds name has been retained as a mark of respect to the founding family. The company has retained a family business mentality since day one; this continues with Ian’s ten trusted employees, six of which are members of his own family.
Due to the company’s commitment to recycling, several neighbouring premises have been acquired and the site is now larger than ever and ready to purchase your scrap.
Each year, with the help from the general public, Foulds Metals helps to raise money for the RNLI by turning your unwanted scrap items into cash. So far we have raised over £10,000 for the RNLI and intend to keep this up year after year!
Foulds Metals are also proud sponsors of:
- Fleetwood Cricket Club
- Fleetwood Rugby Club
- Fleetwood Gym (Youth Football)